July 31, 2008

The final weekly share

The end of July has arrived and with that the end of our CSA subscription. We could renew for the next three months but instead we have other plans (more on that soon).

For our final week the share included:
– Green beans
– Field peas
– Tomatoes, roma and round
– Sweet peppers
– Garlic
– A small yellow melon

Tonight I made a deep dish pizza using a spring form pan. Thank you Evil Mad Scientist for the instructions. Inside the pizza I started with a thick coating of my homemade collard green olive pesto, then some five cheese blend from Trader Joe’s followed by a whole container of mushrooms, some finely chopped onion and small slivers of the sweet peppers from the share. On top I put more cheese followed by a homemade red sauce using the roma tomatoes and garlic from today’s share. It turned out amazing, like a perfect, restaurant deep dish. Yum!

Earlier this week I did make that summer salad and I have to say that field peas pretty much suck. First you have to shuck all the peas and the skins are tough and the peas don’t want to come out. Once you get a pile of them, they are hard and tasteless. After boiling them on the stove for a while they are no longer hard but instead have the texture of lima beans. Putting them in my salad seemed to actually detract from the salad, sadly. Overall I would never buy field peas. Yuck.

7 Comments

1. As someone who has recently been dubbed “Pesto Meister”, the collard green olive pesto piqued my interest. But how on earth does one get collard greens in Europe? I’ll have to try it out with swiss chard.

Comment by Maureen — August 1, 2008 @ 6:46 am

2. Try young sweet peas next time. They weren’t ready yet for your visit but they make a nice addition to any salad. Check with P for the exact type.

Comment by Shann — August 1, 2008 @ 2:26 pm

3. Girl, don’t give up on the field peas! They are a Southern staple. Try the cooked ones at Whole foods in prepped foods dept. I usually get them with mac’n’cheese and the collared greens or bbq seitan. They’re meant to be cooked kinda squishy, but seasoned just right? They’re delicious!

Comment by Steph — August 4, 2008 @ 9:04 am

4. what do you think of this?

Comment by Arielle — August 4, 2008 @ 4:50 pm

5. Wow peas, who knew they were so popular!

First: for the pesto I took all the mixed greens in the fridge including collards, spinach and arugula. It makes a very earthy pesto.

Now don’t get me wrong I love sugar snaps and green beans but a southern field pea is like no pea I’ve known. Maybe with more butter I could learn to like them.

It is time for summer soups and that pea soup sound delich. Let me know if you make it.

Comment by Marijka — August 4, 2008 @ 7:05 pm

6. That pizza sounded amazing!!

Comment by rosemarie — August 5, 2008 @ 11:26 am

7. The pea pod soup was delicious! I made it from a recipe on vegetariantimes.com rather than the one from Chocolate and Zucchini. It had spinach and chervil in it, didn’t even need to be strained after blending, and was very good hot. It’s also tasty chilled with chunks of avocado, cherry tomatoes, and some of the fresh peas added. I’d recommend it the next time you have a bunch of pea pods laying around. :-)

Comment by Arielle — August 8, 2008 @ 6:31 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Seed
  • Eating salted avocados with a spoon in Madison.
  • Blogging since 2003.