June 28, 2011

CSA Box #2

Strawberries

Just a few days over, I finished off the last of box one. I did make that asian green recipe. It was awful!!! I refused to eat and while SB powered through for one meal, we ended up throwing out the rest of the dish. I’m still searching for a good asian greens recipe, but no fear, because the new box is not as challenging.

The big success of last week was tossing the collard greens into some risotto with the asparagus. Fantastic! We will be doing that again!

Box #2 includes:
– Baby turnips
– French breakfast radishes
– Garlic scape
– Italian parsley
– Kohlrabi
– Napa cabbage
– Rainbow chard
– Red lettuce
– Scallions
– Strawberries!!!

We bought two extra quarts of strawberries and have by plagued with many strawberry decisions. It must be summer. The most challenging item in the box has got to be the huge napa cabbage. It was literally a challenge to get it in the fridge. Any great suggestions for napa cabbage? I see lots of asian slaw in my future.

6 Comments

1. Napa cabbage – those huge things! Have you heard of the ramen noodle recipe? Where you bust up the dry noodles and toast them with sesame seeds and throw them in for crunch, on top of the chopped cabbage/carrot/onion etc.? I kind of like it. But I don’t know what to do with the seasoning packets, then.

Comment by nichole — June 28, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

2. Mmmm Toasted ramen noodles, that sounds good and a little extra touch for a pile of cabbage. Maybe you could use the seasoning packets for soup stock.

Comment by Avocados — June 28, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

3. If you can find some wrappers (much easier than it used to be), any sort of asian green/napa cabbage/bok choy etc makes a great filling for home-made spring rolls.

Comment by Jeff — June 29, 2011 @ 7:31 am

4. Wraps with some rice noodles and finely sliced tofu. Yum! That’s a great way to use up greens and something I never remember. Thanks Jeff!

Comment by Avocados — June 29, 2011 @ 8:13 am

5. Yay!

I am super jealous of those strawberries. If they were in my fridge, they would metamorphose into several pies in short order.

I miss doing a CSA – all of our moving/traveling this summer and last summer makes it much more difficult for us to sign up for one.

Comment by Jeff — June 29, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

6. That’s the trick with CSAs, if you travel or eat out too much, then it all falls apart and you end up with big pile of rotting veggies. Pies are coming soon!

Comment by Marijka — June 29, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Seed
  • Eating salted avocados with a spoon in Madison.
  • Blogging since 2003.