August 13, 2012

Insulated

New Storage Platform

What a summer it has been! The insulation crew, electrician and roofers have come and gone. The house feels like it has been wrapped in a big, fluffy blanket. With the wall insulation, the neighborhood noises, both late night and early morning, have disappeared. Suddenly I’m looking forward to a bitterly cold winter, just to put the insulation to the test.

This project allowed us to check-off a few items that were on our must-do list since we first looked at this house. The attic had been lined with cardboard and newspaper, now that is all gone. The chimney leaked around the roofline, now there is no chimney. The basement shag carpeting had to go and now the basement has a new sub-floor.

We still have some more work to do in the basement, like removing the feast-master, replacing the basement windows, re-working the basement stairs and picking a new floor covering for the finished side. Those projects will come together in the next year.

In the meantime, we are taking a little break from house work and enjoying these few cool days of summer, after the incredibly hot and dry days of June and July.

Oh, and the stuff beast, it is still around, but is much smaller and tamer than two months ago. I continue to sell items off through Amazon and Craigslist. It feels good to know the true extent of what we own and also to know where it is and why we still have it.

Basement Phase 2

6 Comments

1. That’s fantastic that it’s all done! I understand your desire for a bitter cold winter on a smaller scale – I just finished knitting a thick wool sweater with old yarn that had been cluttering up my stash and am eager to wear it when the wheel of the seasons spins far enough.

Your last line is great and reflects quite an accomplishment. Wow. I am still grappling with the last “why” question with some things, and I think this will ultimately lead to letting go of more.

Hope you’ll be posting more now that the big job is finished.

Comment by M. — August 14, 2012 @ 1:25 am

2. Thanks M. I agree, cold winters are the perfect weather for knitters to show their skills.

Comment by Marijka — August 14, 2012 @ 7:54 am

3. That’s exciting you can hear the difference. I’m sure you’ll be able to feel it come winter.

Are you going to store things in the attic, or just the basement from now on?

Comment by Arielle — August 14, 2012 @ 8:21 am

4. The attic storage platform will be for deep storage in bins. The attic is now outside the envelope of the house, so anything stored up there has to be OK with extreme temps. The basement will become our crafting area, additional kitchen storage (serving ware, wine, and items like that), and storage for things that need a more temperate climate. It has been challenging to figure out what to store where, between the attic, basement and garage.

Comment by Marijka — August 14, 2012 @ 9:39 am

5. I love that feeling of accomplishment! Ad it makes you feel like your house is more your home with every project you do. Are you gng to sell the Feast Master on amazon?? :) (that’s the crazy built in stove right?)

Comment by Rosemarie — August 15, 2012 @ 12:50 am

6. Yes, the feast master is our in home bar-b-que. I think I may try to sell the rotisserie and mechanical parts of the feast master since we even have the user manual and it does have a retro cool-ness to it.

Comment by Marijka — August 15, 2012 @ 7:41 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Seed
  • Eating salted avocados with a spoon in Madison.
  • Blogging since 2003.